Kinston Free Press
18 Jul 1898
Mrs. Eliza Ann, wife of Mr. W.W. SMITH, of near here, while using kerosene to light a fire in the stove on Monday evening, was so seriously burned that she died that night about 1 o’clock. The blaze extended to the can, causing an explosion. The flames enveloped her and she ran out doors, falling to the ground, and when the flames was subdued it was found that she burned from head to foot. She leaves several children, a husband, and a host of relatives to mourn her death. We extend our sympathy.