From the Kinston Free Press
3 May 1898
- Mr. J.W. Foss went to Kinston today.
- Mr. Henry Goff has been spending a few days with friends here.
- Mr. W.S. Uzell went to Goldsboro Saturday and returned the same day.
- Two of the Goldsboro riflemen passed here last Thursday looking up voluneers.
- Mr. B.H. Dawson, of near Institute, spent Thursday night at Mr. W.M. Sutton’s.
- Mr. K.E. and Rev. T.H. Sutton, of LaGrange, spent last Friday at Mr. Josiah Sutton, Jr.’s.
- The recent cold spell damaged the corn and fruit crops somewhat, but not as much as was expected.
- A good many of our friends attended Crumpler’s meeting at LaGrange Saturday night and Sunday.
- Saturday morning, as the sun was rising, a good many of the young boys met at Mr. Josiah Sutton’s to trim down an acre of woods for the purpose of building a Free Will Baptist church, which will be built immediately. Mr. Josiah Sutton gave $59 and one acre of land, which we appreciate very much. It seems tha the love of God has been shed abroad in the hearts of a good many young people.