Kinston Free Press – 6 Nov 1903
Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 o’clock in the Free Will Baptist church at Hugo occurred one of the most beautiful weddings ever seen at that place. Mr. Ed Rouse was united in marriage to Miss Iola Sutton, the beautiful and charming daughter of Mr. B.F. Sutton, of Greenville, and the church was well filled with relatives and friends of the bridal couple. The attendants were: Miss Blanche Abbott with Mr. Dan Abbott, Miss Nannie Rouse with Mr. Tom Dawson, Miss Eva Abbott with Mr. Bob Abbott, Miss Mamie Dawson with Mr. Robert Rouse.
The bride entered leaning on the arm of Miss Eva Abbott and was met at the altar by the groom and best man, Mr. Tom Dawson. The ceremony was performed by Rev. S.W. Sumrell. After the ceremony the bridal party drove to the home of the groom’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Marcellus Rouse, where a bountiful supper was prepared for them. We congratulate them on their choice and wish them a long an prosperous life.
Kinston Free Press – 2 Jan 1899
- Bishop Chancey and Katie Harper
- Daniel Brinson and Julia Whaley
- I.J. Broados and Mollie White
- J.N. Bryant and Ida May Turnage
- James Cauley and Kate Thomas
- B.Goodman and Alice E. Sutton
- R.D. Hart and Sue Herring
- John Jenkins and Penny Jenkins
- Wm. Jones and Anges Dale
- B.F. Jones and Ellen Rebecca Moore
- J.P. Murphy and Ella Howard
- Matthew H. Smith and Sarah H. Smith
- R.B. Morgan and Nannie Allen
- Benj. Sullivan and Claude Arthur
- John I. Sutton and Cora L. Fields
- C.H. Smith and Myrtle Marquette
- Daniel Potter and Sarah E. Nunn
- D.R. Phillips and Clara Turnage
- W.N. Rouse and Clemmie L. Smith
- Henry Albritton and Sarah Sutton
- Guilford Bell and Victoria Becks
- William Bess and Virginia Dawson
- Will Blount and Rena Suggs
- Geo. W. Best and Hattie Miller
- Lewis Chadwick and Sue Wilson
- Henry Daughtery and Rozella Rhem
- Henry Gardner and Winnie Davis
- C.S. Harper and Matilda Wayne
- Manuel Hill and Julia Moseley
- John Hargett and Percilla Brown
- Joshua Isler and Charity Coleman
- Joe James and Lizzie Outlaw
- I.F. Lane and Jane Fields
- James Lovitt and Louise Daughtery
- John Lee and Hannah Johnson
- Zebedee Nunn and Bertha Harrison
- J.F. Noble and Alice Plummer
- Herbert Soloman and Bessie Dunn
- Atlas Outlaw and Ora Cople
- Sam Sutton and Mariah Gardner
From the Kinston Free Press
3 May 1898
- Mr. J.W. Foss went to Kinston today.
- Mr. Henry Goff has been spending a few days with friends here.
- Mr. W.S. Uzell went to Goldsboro Saturday and returned the same day.
- Two of the Goldsboro riflemen passed here last Thursday looking up voluneers.
- Mr. B.H. Dawson, of near Institute, spent Thursday night at Mr. W.M. Sutton’s.
- Mr. K.E. and Rev. T.H. Sutton, of LaGrange, spent last Friday at Mr. Josiah Sutton, Jr.’s.
- The recent cold spell damaged the corn and fruit crops somewhat, but not as much as was expected.
- A good many of our friends attended Crumpler’s meeting at LaGrange Saturday night and Sunday.
- Saturday morning, as the sun was rising, a good many of the young boys met at Mr. Josiah Sutton’s to trim down an acre of woods for the purpose of building a Free Will Baptist church, which will be built immediately. Mr. Josiah Sutton gave $59 and one acre of land, which we appreciate very much. It seems tha the love of God has been shed abroad in the hearts of a good many young people.